The emergent agricultural data ecosystem in Australia is ad hoc and unstructured, resulting in much of the potential value of agricultural data for research not being fully realised.
Agricultural data are currently siloed within multiple organisations, including universities, government, statutory organisations as well as in the private sector.
Access to these data is limited with often significant costs involved in both finding and obtaining access to trusted data for a specific purpose.
When trusted data are at last found and accessed, the data is not understandable or analysis-ready in standard formats that allow reuse and integration with other datasets or data types.
Australian research policy and agricultural sector recommendations highlight that for research in the agricultural sector to more efficiently contribute to improving competitiveness and innovation in Australian agriculture, data from across the various organisations and subject domains need to be made Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable (FAIR) within an environment that ensures the trust of data providers and users.
To unlock the potential of agricultural data from research organisations, government, agricultural producers and other agricultural industry players by providing a data sharing platform which will enable Australian researchers, industry and government to share and use FAIR data to increase the application of knowledge, accelerate innovation and improve decision making
AgReFed will pursue this mission by:
- Bringing together and aligning independent organisations to make strategic and technical decisions about data sharing;
- Providing a governance and data stewardship framework for collective decision making;
- Providing the infrastructure, tools and resources for research organisations to develop the capacity to make their Agricultural research data FAIR;
- Enabling increasingly FAIR data from individual research organisations to be available for use by the broader agricultural research community; and
- Incorporating and enabling access to complementary data important to agricultural research.